Exchange 14: Expectations and wishes *update*
So at Tech-Ed 2008 EMEA IT Pro, I heard very little about the next version of my favorite groupware solution: Exchange 14.
Also searching the net, didn't come up with a lot of results. But that is probably because there is still a non-disclosure agreement in place on those who already know more. Grrrrr.
On the other side; it does mean I can speculate at will 🙂
*Update 1-dec-2008* Added new item, prefaced with NEW
What do I know (some of it heard on TechEd)?
- Public Folders will return and will be supported for 10 years after the release of E14 (see Updated Exchange Public Folder Guidance);
- The Unified Communications Role will contain 26 spoken languages (I believe it is 15 at the moment) and will voice recognize 25 (this was one!);
- The migration path to E14 was very complicated at first, but after consultations was optimized;
- NEW: The use of more variables for Hub Transport Rules (Just remembered hearing this one on TechEd. I'm hoping for more user specific variables);
What do I think will be implemented?
- Almost 100% functionality in non-IE browsers (look at OCS);
- Merging of storage group and database (I do not even implement more than one DB per storage group);
- Online Mailbox moves without disabling access for the user at the start of moving items (pleasant for users with very large mailboxes);
- Runs only on Windows Server 2008 (perhaps even R2?).
What am I hoping for?
- Opening of specific folders of others users via OWA, without having full control;
- User customizable group calendars in OWA (preferably the same as in Outlook);
- Centralized configuration of Document folders in OWA (i.e. homefolder as a favorite);
- Edge transporter support for Windows Core server (yeah, not really something the Exchange team can do something about);
- Better Public Folder Management;
So what do you think that will be implemented or like to see? It will be fun to compare this to specifications officially released by Microsoft!
Disclaimer: these features are possible subject to change and I could misheard/misunderstood what I have heard or read. And for some legal matters: I did not see any builds of E14 in any way, nor did I signed a non disclosure agreement. With the exception of Public Folders, consider this speculation at best!