Remote Management incompatibility is one of the biggest problems with Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Exchange Server 2007 on one side and Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 (R2) and Exchange Server 2003 on the other side.
Up until today the table below gives an accurate picture of this problem:
|Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Exchange System Manager||Exchange Server 2007 Management Console||Exchange Server 2007 SP1 Management Console|
It boils down to not being able to manage Exchange Server 2003 remotely from Windows Vista. (more info here)
ESM for Windows Vista
Today the Exchange System Manager for Windows Vista appeared in the Microsoft Download Center. It corrects this situation: You can now manage Exchange Server 2003 remotely from Windows Vista.
To make the Exchange System Manager for Windows Vista work you need to make sure:
- Your server is running Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
- Your workstation is running Windows Vista or Windows Vista with Service Pack 1
- Your workstation has the Windows Server 2003 ServicePack 1 Administration Tools Pack or Windows Server 2003 R2 Administration Tools Pack (x86) installed.
- Your workstation has the Internet Information Services (IIS) 6 compatibility module installed
- Your workstation has the latest MAPI CDO package, “Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1” installed.
While playing with the bits I noticed the following:
- The Release notes supply good information on prerequisites and known issues
- You cannot install ESM for Windows Vista on Windows Server 2008
- You cannot have Microsoft Office Outlook installed on the workstation you want to use with the Exchange System Manager
- You can install ESM for Windows Vista on 64bit editions of Windows Vista
Many more management incompatibilities exist, but I believe the most notable was solved today. Now let’s hope Microsoft solves the other problems as well.
Exchange System Manager for Windows Vista
Windows Server 2003 R2 Administration Tools Pack (x86)
Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1
You experience installation errors and compatibility problems when you install Windows Server 2003 management tools on a Windows Vista-based computer
How to obtain the latest service packs for Exchange Server 2003
RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools): what’s included and what’s NOT
You cannot install the Exchange Management Console or the Exchange System Manager on a Windows Vista-based computer
TechNet Forums: How to Administer Exchange Server 2003 from Windows Vista
TechNet Forums: Using RSAT on Vista to Manage Exchange Attributes via ADUC
TechNet Forums: RSAT