Today, Veeam released Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 version 126.96.36.1991. This is the Release to Manufacturers (RTM) version of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5.
Next to enhanced backup job scheduling, easier collecting and exporting Veeam Explorer log files, the new VMC log and several RESTful API enhancements, here’s what’s new:
Microsoft Teams Support
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5 now has purpose-built backup and recovery for Microsoft Teams. This version makes it easier than ever for users to quickly find and restore Teams data, including entire teams or specific channels and settings. It’s now easy to protect, browse and granularly restore Teams data, including entire teams, specific channels, tabs, content and settings.
The Microsoft Teams restore options are built into the new Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Teams.
Limitations of Teams backups
The following Microsoft Teams items and properties are not supported for backup in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office v5:
- Wiki tabs
- Applications from Microsoft AppSource Marketplace and custom applications from the organization’s app store
- Calls, meeting notes, and meeting chats
- Code snippets in Microsoft Teams posts
- The ‘Allow members to upload custom apps’ team property
The architectural enhancements in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5 deliver 5x the scale increase to support larger enterprise environments, combined with the ability to browse the user interface (UI) for over 100,000 objects simultaneously. Version 5 also provides up to 2x faster Office 365 data movement to object storage, along with parallel processing for digesting massive SharePoint Online lists, and faster PowerShell and REST API calls that execute in mere seconds.
The following is a list of issues known to exist at the time of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 5.0:
- Teams restore is not supported in the modern authentication mode with legacy protocols allowed (using a username and an app password). To restore Teams data, use modern app-only or basic authentication.
- For Microsoft Outlook, the preliminary releases, like Insider releases, or releases provided through Monthly Channel Updates are not supported.
- Veeam Backup for Office 365 v5 does not support automatic firewall rules creation and ports opening. If any of the required ports are closed, you should open it manually.
- Multi-factor authentication is not supported for the Microsoft Azure China region.
- Microsoft Teams service is not supported for organizations in the Microsoft Azure China and Germany regions.
- Notifications on job results may not work properly for Microsoft Azure China and Germany regions.
- Upgrade from the beta version of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is not supported.
- After upgrading from versions 3.0, 4.0, 4a, or 4b to version 5.0 and performing backup repositories and backup jobs upgrade, Office 365 group objects will not be available for point-in-time explore until the next corresponding backup job run.
- Backup of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Microsoft Exchange 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- To back up public folder mailboxes, the Veeam service account must have a valid Exchange Online license and an active mailbox within the Office 365 organization.
You may receive an Access Denied error on API permissions after upgrading. As Microsoft Teams is a separate service within O365, it requires its own set of permissions for a backup service account (and/or application). You can always find full and the most up-to-date information on the requirements in the Helpcenter documentation.
Veeam Explorer issues
If you have Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5 and Veeam Explorers installed on the machine hosting Veeam Backup & Replication v10, you may see compatibility issues in case of upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication to version 10a. To avoid it, perform these steps:
- Uninstall Veeam Explorers before performing the upgrade.
- After the upgrade, reinstall Veeam Explorers manually from the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5 installation package.
Limitations of modern app-only authentication
The following limitations apply for backup of Office 365 tenants using modern app-only authentication:
- Discovery search and public folder mailboxes are not supported.
- Dynamic distribution groups are not supported.
- Shared and resource/equipment mailboxes are presented and available for backup with a general ‘User’ type.
- SharePoint web parts can only be backed up if their ‘exportmode’ property is enabled. Non-exportable web parts are not supported.
After changing the organization authentication mode to modern app-only, some Office 365 groups may fail to be resolved for backup.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5 is a big upgrade for organizations who take the responsibility to protect their data in Microsoft 365 services seriously.
Microsoft Teams has seen an incredible uptick in the last 9 months and it’s good to see that Veeam offers a structured way to backup and restore data in this service. Even if your organization doesn’t use Microsoft Teams, the architectural changes will sure make your backup admins lives easier.